Thursday 26 May 2011

Astrantia Fashion

This is my Astrantia major 'Rubra'. I bought it in a sale at the end of last summer when everyone seemed to have astrantia and I didn't want to be left out. Plants definitely seem to go in and out of fashion. Maybe its Chelsea I don't know or maybe its just that once you recognise a plant you see it everywhere. Anyway to me astrantia, particularly the red ones seem to be very in vogue.
This one has had a bit of a journey. It had finished flowering when I bought it so I planted it out and forgot to water it. I thought it must have died but it managed to put up a few shoots just in time for me to realise what it was and dig it up before we moved house. It then made the journey from Somerset to Cheshire without going missing (lots of our other pots where either emptied out by removal men or just disappeared altogether!) and is now very happily flowering in a pot on the patio.
Of course I have since discovered that we have lots of astrantia here. There are lots of white ones all around the pond. Ah well, I will enjoy mine while it flowers then plant it with its friends where hopefully it will self seed and mix in nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment